The Owl Route is a luxurious glamping escape into the heart of the Karoo. It consists of a 3-day mountain bike experience limited to 80 riders. At The Owl Route, riders will be treated to an all-inclusive riding and culinary experience in the quaint village of Nieu Bethesda. The rolling mountains of the Sneeuberge will remain the backdrop of the 3-day experience. You will be led back to the welcoming arms of Nieu Bethesda and its hand-built, fully functioning water furrows and historic sites.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN YOUR ENTRY?
- All riders receive a unique Ride garment and "Karoo Boksie" with some great local products to the value of R1500.
- All event meals from Friday lunch to Sunday Lunch are included in your entry.
- All drinks including craft gin, beer and wine are complimentary.
- 2-Nights of "glamping" accommodation.
- Expect brilliant live entertainment throughout the weekend to further set the mood.
- Riders get to enjoy exclusively selected routes.
- Staffed water points serving everything from freshly brewed coffee to pancakes! Assistance vehicle at designated water points.
- Participants will be surprised by off the beaten path refreshments stops along the way.
- Trained medical personnel each day to handle any emergencies that may occur.
- All participants and non-riders receive a handmade souvenir.
Friday | Go and explore the town of Nieu-Bethesda and see what it has to offer with a scenic trip of 17km through the town. Ride along the historic water furrows and pass by Antie Evelyn for some ice-cold homemade ginger beer!
Saturday | 48KM | Day two is a tough one, but definitely the most scenic of the routes. You’ll also encounter a couple of smooth singletrack sections on your 48km ride. You will pass through spectacular canyons and river crossings to finish back at Nieu Bethesda for the best beer and cheese platters!
Sunday | 53KM | A circular ride on well-tended dirt roads, through various kloofs and plateaus. Some steep uphills and fast downhills. Notable for the sweeping vistas of the Sneeuberg range.
More information: ridetheowlroute.co.za/
This event supports team entries for certain classes, but teams must consist of 2 participants per team.
Classes and pricing
Available classes for the event
Solo Rider | Sharing with your non-rider (Supporter)
1 Rider (R9850) and a companion (R8450) sharing accommodation (All included)
|120 km Day 1 - 17km | Day 2 - 48km | Day 3- 53km||R 18,300.00|
Team Riding Entry | Sharing
2 Riders sharing accommodation (All included)
|120 km Day 1 - 17km | Day 2 - 48km | Day 3- 53km||R 9,850.00|
Directions to Nieu Bethesda
The unspoilt village of Nieu Bethesda lies tucked in a scenic valley in the foothills of the Sneeuberg Mountains, 50km north of Graaff-Reinet.
Nieu Bethesda is accessed by two roads from the N9. The first is a fully tarred road 27km north of Graaff-Reinet at Wellwood Farm.